This campaign is a project of The Outreach Team. The Outreach Team specializes in face-to-face canvassing operations. We help the nation’s leading progressive groups make social change and impact critical elections. We are excited to be working with Everytown for Gun Safety on a program to register 50,000 students to vote.
We are currently seeking Voter Registration Canvass Directors to join us on an important and exciting non-partisan campaign to help tens of thousands of students register to vote in Michigan, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania.
Voting is a fundamental right, and our pursuit of a truly representative democracy demands that we engage every eligible voter to register and vote in November.
Voter Registration Canvass Directors will recruit, train, and manage a team of canvassers based on college campuses to assist citizens in successfully and safely completing their voter registration applications. This position reports to the Project Director.
COVID-19 has altered the political landscape, but one thing remains the same – we will need to have in-person conversations with people to register a lot of them to vote. Thankfully, we can do this with low risk. We will provide PPE and substantial health and safety training, and we have developed a canvassing protocol that will allow us to do this critical work in a contactless manner while keeping our staff and the people in our communities safe.
We are hiring immediately. This position can run through the mid-October registration deadline, with opportunities to extend through the Election and beyond.
Locations: Immediate priority is in Ann Arbor/Ypsilanti, Michigan. Our strong preference is for in-state candidates, short-term travel may be required.
Canvass Management Responsibilities:
- Identify and hire members of the community to work as canvassers and assist people in carefully and correctly filling out voter registration forms
- Manage a team of 10-20 canvassers, setting and driving goals along the way
- Implement safety protocol, including ensuring adequate PPE for all staff and compliance with daily health and safety guidelines
- Familiarize yourself with state registration laws and statutes, and train your staff to comply with all applicable legal requirements and processes for registering voters
- Go out in the field yourself several days a week to canvass, train staff, and help drive office goals by registering voters
- Administrative duties, including working with the HR Director on payroll, onboarding and offboarding staff, and compliance
- Prior experience running a voter registration or other canvassing operation is preferred. We will consider candidates with comparable management experience.
- Leadership experience, ability to motivate, grow, and manage a large team
- Extreme attention to detail and a proven ability to instill that quality in others
- Self-starter with excellent problem-solving skills
- Strong passion for fostering civic engagement
- Ability to work long hours, including evenings and weekends
Salary: The salary range for this position is $900-$1,000 per week. We offer a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and sick leave, health insurance, and hands-on training. At the end of the campaign, there may be opportunities for advancement and bonuses.
At The Outreach Team, we prioritize equity and inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and we strongly encourage Black, indigenous, people of color, women, people with previous felony convictions, members of the LGBTQIA+ community, and others who identify with underrepresented groups to apply.
Source: People’s Action