People’s Action is hiring field organizers, which are temporary project positions from September through the November 3rd election. Field Organizers are on the front lines of our communities, speaking to community members about our political and economic systems. Our organizers engage in Deep Canvassing, which involves making real, human connections with voters through shared experience that establishes mutual trust. Although more demanding than traditional outreach, our work is immensely rewarding. We offer training to candidates with the right attitude and desire to make a difference, which is more important than specific campaign experience.
In this time of social distancing, our organizing and “canvassing” is done remotely through phone calls rather than door knocking and in-person events. This is a remote position, however preference will be given to candidates within and/or with strong ties to Minnesota.
● Deep canvassing
○ Conduct deep canvass conversations via phone with voters
○ Utilize deep canvass skills to elicit emotionally deep conversations with voters to decrease support for Donald Trump / down ballot Republicans.
○ Ability to intentionally listen to voters without judgment. Demonstrate vulnerability with voters. Share personal stake stories and illicit stories from voters.
● Phone banking multiple times per week on a Zoom video call with team members.
Being present and available for weekly paid training experiences such as full team trainings, 1:1 trainings, and individual time to listen back on recorded conversations.
● Being emotionally resilient and mentally present during work.
● Maintaining a professional, positive, and healthy rapport during all public interactions, inviting people to share their stories and perspectives more deeply and offering them a clear analysis on the importance of collective action.
● Accurately recording the results of every interaction in our tracking database and reporting daily numbers.
● Helping to maintain a healthy and positive work environment.
Required Experience & Skills:
● Excellent writing, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills preferred.
● Ability to work quickly and cooperatively.
● Proficiency with basic computer and smartphone applications, including Google Suite and Zoom.
● Experience using relational databases preferred.
● Strong work ethic.
● Desire to learn about progressive politics and social issues.
● Desire to improve your skills and a willingness to reflect on your own experiences and your stake in this work.
● Adapt to a flexible work schedule.
● Able to learn how to efficiently enter data into an online database.
● Previous canvassing, public outreach or political/campaign experience is a plus.
You must be able to accommodate a work schedule that includes weekday evenings and sometimes weekends.
Source: People’s Action