February 2, 2015 at 5:42 pm #433LeviParticipant
Analytics Apprentice at the AFL-CIO Spring 2015
The Analytics team at the AFL-CIO provides a wide range of analysis and strategic intelligence to the AFL-CIO and its partners. This work is used to guide the Federation’s resource allocation decisions, with the aim of improving the lives of working people. Using a variety of data sources, we conduct polling and build statistical models to identify important voters, and determine the best way to engage with them. We also work closely with AFL-CIO staff and allies to conduct field experiments – real world campaign scenarios used to evaluate our program and identify the most effective campaign tactics. This position provides an opportunity to work closely with people who have years of experience conducting political analysis and a commitment to using statistical methods to advance workers’ rights. Read more about the AFL-CIO here: http://www.aflcio.org/
This is a short term paid position, located in Washington, D.C., that provides vital support to our team and works on major projects. Our apprentices work closely with senior analysts on a variety of projects, tailored to individual interests and skills whenever possible. Past apprentices have learned to manage complex data, process polling data and run field experiments among other valuable skills. This position is ideal for someone who may be new to analytics but has a strong desire to learn more about the analytical tools used in labor advocacy and electoral campaigns. The position is open now, with some flexibility on start & end dates.
As an apprentice, you may be someone who:
• Has a passion for data, a meticulous nature, and a keen analytical mind OR has educational experience in analytical, tech, math, or statistics based fields.
• Has an aptitude for Excel or exposure to SQL or STATA, but a desire to learn more.
• Is interested in pursuing a career in the rapidly growing fields of analytics, data, and tech working on progressive issues.
• Can collaborate in a team environment, but also work independently for long periods of time.
• Is open to constructive criticism and team feedback.
• Basic understanding of data & campaign interactions or union organizing.
• Competence in use of Microsoft Excel.
• Proficient oral and written communication skills.
• Experience with STATA, Python or SQL a plus; Other coding or statistics program experience also a benefit.
• Volunteer or work experience with a union or political campaign a plus.
If you would like to apply, please send a resume and cover letter to Lena Tom at email@example.com including “Apprentice” in the subject line. We have a great team here and look forward to welcoming some enthusiastic new additions to the team.
-Lena Tom, Senior Analytics Coordinator at AFL-CIO
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.