November 14, 2014 at 12:35 pm #212JamesonKeymaster
Data and Developer Internships
The Center for Popular Democracy (CPD) is a national organization that promotes equity, opportunity and a dynamic democracy by partnering with grassroots and membership-based organizations around the country to build power and transform the state and local policy landscape. CPD has offices in New York City and Washington, DC.
CPD provides our partners with legal and strategic support on state and local organizing and legislative campaigns that advance a pro-worker, pro-immigrant, racial justice agenda. CPD collaborates with emerging grassroots groups as they develop and refine their community organizing methodology and internal systems management, fundraising and communications infrastructure. Through this combination of policy work and organizing, CPD seeks to generate the upward pressure and momentum necessary to refocus national policy on furthering the values of equity, opportunity and democracy for all.
CPD seeks individuals committed to social justice for the Data and Development Internship Program. Data Interns would help with membership, voter, and other research data processing needs arising from day to day CPD and partner organization operations. Data Interns would also assist in producing data analysis that would inform campaign and operational decision-making on ongoing immigrants’ rights and economic justice policy and organizing campaigns.
Developer Interns would help design and develop web and mobile applications that would help streamline CPD and partner organization internal and field operations, increase digital campaign outreach capacity, and enhance data mining and analysis capabilities to help drive strategy and decision-making on ongoing immigrants’ rights and economic justice policy and organizing campaigns.
In particular, Data Intern responsibilities include:
- Research and identify pre-existing data sets and opportunities to create new data sets
- Mine, cleanse, and standardize publicly available data (especially demographic, economic, housing, and/or voting data) to be used to guide campaign research.
- Assist in data analysis to bring a data-driven perspective to campaigning and organizing
Development Intern responsibilities include:
- Help develop mobile and web applications to amplify digital campaigns and outreach
- Help develop applications that can sync different online tools and cloud-based databases
- Help design interfaces for data analysis and web or database applications that facilitate an understanding of underlying data and enhance user experience
Interns will be supervised directly by CPD staff, and hours are flexible. This is an unpaid internship. Interns would have the opportunity to learn more about community organizing, policy advocacy, and the national community organizing landscape. Interns would also have the opportunity to change the approach to community organizing by introducing a data-oriented perspective. Credit opportunities are available for students enrolled in institutions that grant credit for internships. Those interested should submit a resume and cover letter to Chris Huang (firstname.lastname@example.org). Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
CPD is an affirmative action employer. We actively recruit people of color, people with disabilities, and people with diverse gender and sexual identities.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.