Our Challenge and Why We Want You
Down Home is neighbors, rooted in the community, coming together to create change. We’re a canvass kickoff with homemade food and a party at the end of the day. We’re an hours-long meeting where our members hash out the details of our endorsement platform. We’re people people.
In order to put the safety and wellbeing of our communities first, Down Home’s entire 2020 electoral program will be done remotely. Organizing entirely online during COVID-19 has been a challenge – but it’s the deep relationships we were built on that give us a unique opportunity to make change in 2020. We’re seeking experienced Organizers who can run county-wide Relational Voter Turnout (RVT) campaigns that will get our candidates elected and help us transition our work into online spaces.
About the Regional Lead Position
The core function of RVT is teaching volunteers to talk to their friends and family about what issues matter the most to them. It thrives on personal story sharing, active listening, and a passion for the issues our communities face.
As a Regional Lead you will build robust volunteer teams using online spaces by:
- Identifying new leaders who are ready to join Down Home and engage in our electoral work
- Coaching teams of volunteers through online trainings, 1:1 meetings, and dynamic group spaces
- Finding creative ways to engage volunteers around the election; testing new ideas to learn what works
- Meeting goals for voter contact, volunteer recruitment, and leadership development
- Holding volunteer leaders accountable to ambitious goals; providing coaching and support in hitting them
- Tracking large amounts of data using VAN, Empower, and Google Spreadsheets
- Working with Down Home members and leadership to improve the program by seeking and implementing feedback
- Building a team culture that is nurturing, innovative, and inspired to win
What We’re Looking For
Here are the experiences that would make you a good fit:
- Experience building volunteer teams
Demonstrated ability to meet campaign goals and metrics
Demonstrated ability to track and manage large quantities of data; experience with VAN is preferred but other systems will do
Experience using relational organizing tools and tactics preferred
Here are the qualities that will make you a good fit:
- Lives in or is from either Alamance or Cabarrus; preference for folks who currently live there
Commitment to building multi-racial and working class power in North Carolina through elections
Desire to learn and grow as a leader
Creative problem solver who’s not afraid to try new things
Team player; asks for help, offers help
Ready to get down with whatever these elections throw our way
At Down Home, we recognize that not everybody is in a position to take a full time job organizing in their community. If you’re someone who spends a lot of time working with community members already and is looking for an opportunity to begin a career in Organizing, we would like to encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and 2-3 references to email@example.com using the subject line “Regional Lead Application” and your name. No cover letter necessary. Instead please include one paragraph in your email about why this election matters to you.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Ideally this position will begin in late July.
Source: People’s Action