Program Associate – External Communications and Creative Assets
The Democratic Socialists of America is a member-run, socialist organization with more than 280 groups in every state and the District of Columbia engaged in movement-building, public education, direct action, advocacy, and electoral politics. Our immediate goal is to build working-class power against the capitalist class while advancing transformative reforms like Medicare for All and a Green New Deal, supporting a robust labor movement, electing socialists to office, and shifting the public framing around capitalism and democratic socialism. DSA is a “big tent,” multi-tendency organization that welcomes everyone committed to democracy and socialism.
Reporting to the Communications Director, the Program Associate – External Communications and Creative Assets will work with staff, DSA’s elected leaders, and volunteers to support our external communications strategy through press relations, design, and swag fulfillment. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with teams of volunteers, liaising with the press, and have a firm grasp on the political context in which DSA operates.
· Support the organization’s national external media strategy across all national campaigns including centralizing talking points, drafting and distributing press releases and Op-Eds, and developing relationships with and pitching stories to the media.
· Oversee media outreach and coordination for national conferences and conventions by inviting journalists, coordinating messaging, and prepping spokespersons.
· Execute rapid-response communications strategies in response to internal and external crises affecting the organization.
· Recruit and manage volunteers to the national external comms and design committees to ensure a robust team of volunteers to provide support for national campaigns and initiatives
· Provide ongoing external comms resources to chapters including sample op-eds and press releases, training, and support around media inquiries.
· Oversee swag fulfillment and manage relationships with online store vendor to ensure contract compliance and accurate reporting.
· Work with the Organizing team to train staff and support Spoke campaigns.
· Maintain national tech resources for chapters and staff such as Zoom and Asana.
· Manage copy fixes and updates to website when needed.
· Provide logistical support at special events, as needed.
· 1 to 2 years experience in campaign communications, journalism, and/or public relations
· Experience engaging with the press.
· The ability to work with, inspire, and develop volunteers.
· Ability to communicate persuasively, accessibly and professionally in writing and orally to diverse audiences. Strong writing and editing skills. Ability to produce clear, concise content within tight deadlines.
· Experience with WordPress and Zoom
· Comfortable learning new technologies and training others
· Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, detail-oriented environment.
· A firm grasp of the political environment in which DSA operates and a demonstrated commitment to building socialism within our time.
· Bilingual in Spanish and English
· Skills in graphic design and/or video editing/production
· Familiarity with social media platforms including but not limited to Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and TikTok
Reports to: Communications Director
Work Schedule: Full-time. Work hours will fluctuate according to campaign needs and members’ availability.
Salary: Depending on experience, $42,500 – $47,500.
Benefits: We offer employer paid medical, dental, and vision insurance for employees and their spouse/partner and/or dependent children, and three weeks of vacation in the first year of employment, then four weeks each year thereafter.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement with the Washington-Baltimore News Guild.
Application Deadline: Apply as soon as possible, as interviews begin immediately.
To Apply: Email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Program Associate-External Communications and Creative Assets Last Name.
· Cover letter with statement of your qualifications related to organizing, project management, and communications
· 3 references with direct supervisory knowledge of relevant work
No phone calls or recruiters, please.
Democratic Socialists of America is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a staff that reflects the working class. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, as well as members of the LGBTQ communities.
Source: People’s Action