Our Challenge and Why We Want You
Down Home is neighbors, rooted in the community, coming together to create change. We’re a canvass kickoff with homemade food and a party at the end of the day. We’re an hours-long meeting where our members hash out the details of our endorsement platform. We’re people people.
In order to put the safety and wellbeing of our communities first, Down Home’s entire 2020 electoral program will be done remotely. Organizing entirely online during COVID-19 has been a challenge – but it’s the deep relationships we were built on that give us a unique opportunity to make change in 2020. We’re seeking a Regional Field Director who can help run county-wide Relational Voter Turnout (RVT) campaigns that will get our candidates elected and help us transition our work into online spaces.
About the Regional Field Director
The core function of RVT is teaching volunteers to talk to their friends and family about what issues matter the most to them. It thrives on personal story sharing, active listening, and a passion for the issues our communities face.
As a Regional Field Director you will report directly to the Field Director and oversee the execution of the organizing in Alamance and Cabarrus Counties or the mountain region.
Job duties may include:
● Responsible for meeting regional goals for metrics and programs outlined in the field plan by the Field Director
● Holding Regional Lead Organizers accountable to meeting their daily and weekly benchmarks and goals
● Tracking progress to goal, and coaching a team of Regional Lead Organizers to success
● Communicating clear priorities, needs, and expectations up and down the chain, and implementing communication structures with staff and their volunteers
● Training organizers on relational voter turnout techniques and digital organizing tools
● Performing other duties as assigned
What We’re Looking For
Here are the experiences that would make you a good fit:
● Experience building organizing teams
● Demonstrated ability to track and meet campaign goals and metrics
● Demonstrated ability to track and manage large quantities of data and experience with VAN.
● Experience using relational organizing tools and tactics preferred
● Experience supervising others
Here are the qualities that will make you a good fit:
● Lives in or is from Alamance or Cabarrus county; preference for folks who currently live there
● Commitment to building multi-racial and working class power in North Carolina through elections
● Desire to learn and grow as a leader
● Creative problem solver who’s not afraid to try new things
● Ability to become quickly proficient in new digital organizing tools
● Team player; asks for help, offers help
● Ready to get down with whatever these elections throw our way
At Down Home, we recognize that not everybody is in a position to take a full time job organizing in their community. If you’re someone who spends a lot of time working with community members already and is looking for an opportunity to begin a career in Organizing, we would like to encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and 2-3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Regional Field Director” and your name. No cover letter necessary. Instead please include one paragraph in your email about why this election matters to you and why you want to organize in rural NC.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Ideally this position will begin in late July.
Source: People’s Action