Our Challenge and Why We Want You
Down Home is neighbors, rooted in the community, coming together to create change. We’re a canvass kickoff with homemade food and a party at the end of the day. We’re an hours-long meeting where our members hash out the details of our endorsement platform. We’re people people.
In order to put the safety and wellbeing of our communities first, Down Home’s entire 2020 electoral program will be done remotely. Organizing entirely online during COVID-19 has been a challenge – but it’s the deep relationships we were built on that give us a unique opportunity to make change in 2020. We’re seeking a Western Relational Voter Turnout (RVT) Manager who can run an RVT campaign in HD 118 and 119 that will get our candidates elected and help us transition our work into online spaces.
About the Western RVT Manager
The core function of RVT is teaching volunteers to talk to their friends and family about what issues matter the most to them. It thrives on personal story sharing, active listening, and a passion for the issues our communities face.
As a Western RVT Manager, you will help build robust volunteer teams using online spaces by:
- Coaching teams of volunteers through online trainings, 1:1 meetings, and dynamic group spaces
- Finding creative ways to engage volunteers around the election; testing new ideas to learn what works
- Meeting goals for voter contact, volunteer recruitment, and leadership development
- Holding volunteer leaders accountable to ambitious goals; providing coaching and support in hitting them
- Tracking large amounts of data using VAN, Empower, and Google Spreadsheets
- Working with Down Home members and leadership to improve the program by seeking and implementing feedback
- What We’re Looking For
Here are the experiences that would make you a good fit:
- Experience building volunteer teams
- Experience managing projects and collaborating with peers
- Demonstrated ability to meet campaign goals and metrics
- Demonstrated ability to track and manage large quantities of data; experience with VAN is preferred but other systems will do
- Experience training volunteers on organizing tactics and digital organizing tools
- Experience using relational organizing tools and tactics preferred
Here are the qualities that will make you a good fit:
- Lives in or is from either western North Carolina; preference for folks who currently live there
- Commitment to building multi-racial and working class power in North Carolina through elections
- Desire to learn and grow as a leader
- Creative problem solver who’s not afraid to try new things
- Team player; asks for help, offers help
- Ready to get down with whatever these elections throw our way
On the job training is part of Down Home’s culture. Experience is great, but we recognize that paid opportunities have not been available to everyone. If you’re reading this job description and think “Well, I’ve done something similar but not quite that” – we would like to encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and 2-3 references to email@example.com using the subject line “Western RVT Manager Application” and your name. No cover letter necessary. Instead please include one paragraph in your email about why this election matters to you.
Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis. Ideally this position will begin in late July.
Source: People’s Action